Printing Press mural in Evolution of the Book series, John W. Alexander. About this image
The Evolution of the Book: Introducing Students to Visual Analysis
Have the necessary materials ready before the activity:
- Primary Source Analysis Tool (PDF/79KB) (print two copies for each student; plus six additional copies for student reporters)
- “Guiding Questions” (PDF/19KB) (print six copies for student guides)
- “The Cairn” (PDF/306KB) (print three copies)
- “Oral Tradition” (PDF/339KB) (print three copies)
- “Hieroglyphics” (PDF/283KB) (print three copies)
- “Picture Writing” (PDF/345KB) (print three copies)
- “Manuscript Book” (PDF/333KB) (print three copies)
- “The Printing Press” (PDF/365KB) (print three copies)
- “Thinking about Images” (PDF/54KB) (print one copy for each student)
- Chart paper or whiteboard
- Magnets/tape for posting printouts on the board
- Computer projection screen for showing images from the Library’s Web site (Option: project images using overhead projector.)
Download the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Before leading students through this lesson, teachers should be familiar with the following Library of Congress resources:
Online versions of the mural images:
- Bang, Molly. Picture This: How Pictures Work. New York: Little Brown and Company, 1991.
- Evans, Joy and Tanya Skelton. How to Teach Art to Children. Monterey, CA: Evan-Moor Publishers, 2001.
- Marshall, Blaine and Alexander Hovan. The Thomas Jefferson Building, The Library of Congress. Washington: The Library of Congress, 2003.
- Small, Herbert. Handbook of the Library of Congress in Washington. Boston: Curtis and Cameron, 1913.