The Minerva Mosaic of the Library of Congress: Taking a Closer Look
Students take a close analytical look at the historic Minerva mosaic from the Great Hall of the Library of Congress, and discover what it can tell them about the mission of the Library's founders. They will perform a basic primary source analysis, and then discuss the symbolism and mythology of the mosaic.
After completing this lesson students will be able to:
- Perform a basic primary source analysis of a visual object.
- Interpret the symbolism of the artistic elements of the Minerva mosaic.
One class period
Recommended Grade Level
Rise of Industrial America, 1876-1900
McREL 4th Edition Standards & Benchmarks
- Standard 2. Understands the historical perspective
- Standard 9. Uses viewing skills and strategies to understand and interpret visual media
- Standard 8. Understands the central ideas of American constitutional government and how this form of government has shaped the character of American society
- Standard 9. Understands the importance of Americans sharing and supporting certain values, beliefs, and principals of American constitutional democracy