Shown here is the first of nineteen volumes of the Talmud published in Munich-Heidelberg in 1948. This edition of the Talmud was created for Jewish survivors of the Holocaust who were living in Displaced Persons Camps after World War II. The Rabbinic Organization in the American sector “with the aid of the American Military Command and the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee in Germany” dedicated the volumes to the “United States Army . . . who played a major role in the rescue of the Jewish people from total annihilation. . . . ” and who facilitated the publication of the Talmud. The drawing at the bottom of the page shows a Nazi labor camp lined with barbed wire; the image at the top portrays palm trees and a panorama of the Holy Land.